The 2020 Pantone color of the year is Classic Blue (a navy shade). Expect to see home accessories, appliances, accent pieces, and furnishings in this rich, classic hue of blue this year. You might find yourself wearing more blue than in the past (scarves, neckties, a classic suit).
Much research goes into the selection of the color of the year. According to Pantone, factors included in the decision-making are lifestyle and industry trends. Other influencers include the arts, socioeconomic dynamics, the political climate, entertainment (movies, media, etc.), and even technology advancements. Personally, I love this shade of navy, so whatever their reason – I think it was a great choice!
Pantone defines Classic Blue as “a shade reminiscent of the sky at dusk. The color anticipates what’s going to happen next.” The shade can be described with any number of adjectives, such as:
- Calming – the sky changing to blue at sunset
- Regal – consider how many times Queen Elizabeth selects blue to wear
- Authoritative – pull out that favorite Navy blue power suit that one wears to meetings or interviews or those dress-to-impress events
- Soothing — the blue of ocean waves or the dusky sky just before nightfall
- Edgy – pairing Class Blue with a high contracting hue for dramatic effect (Navy blue with a pop of bright yellow or orange for instance)
- Serene – the deep blue of a body of water. Think how relaxed you feel gazing at an ocean view
What does color invoke in us? More than you might think. We respond emotionally to colors in our environment. For instance, according to the psychology of color research, blue can be considered conservative and traditional along with the other adjective noted. Research indicates people work well in blue painted rooms. Think about surgical teams wearing blue scrubs in an operating room environment.
Colors can telegraph our emotional state without saying a word. We communicate with the colors we select. This year, enjoy the serenity of Classic Blue in your home, office, or the clothing you wear. Jazz it up with unexpected shades or keep it classy and calming. Enjoy the year of Classic Blue.