Most of us have never spent quite as much time at home as we have in recent months, and let’s face it — we all need a little elbow room. For many, that looks like an outdoor living area, but how do you create something beautiful? And just as importantly — how much is all this going to cost?
Here’s the great news — performance fabrics come in all kinds of price points. Creating an outdoor living area can cost as little or as much as you need it to — it’s just how you prioritize your outdoor living options!
But let’s start with the weather. It’s August in Clemmons, NC. That means it’s averaging a balmy 87 – 90 degree days with lots of afternoon thunderstorms. So we have heat. Sunshine. Rain. We need to keep weather conditions in mind as we start to explore the options for outdoor living furnishings. The sun, heat, and rain all impact fabrics. Performance and durability are the names of the game when you want to have outdoor living that can withstand the elements!
Next, let’s talk about styles —
- You can go with Southern Charm, which is usually inclusive of white wicker, comfy cushions, and on a table nearby, a pitcher of freshly squeezed lemonade!
- Then, there’s the more modern look, which will be more linear with angular lines and while comfortable, not quite as cushy.
- Perhaps your style is more rustic in nature — and you’re looking sturdy Adirondack style seating with repurposed accents.
- Maybe you love the Bohemian Chic look with bright, bold colors and mismatched cozy pieces!
The possibilities for style are endless and of course, are dependent on your preferences and the home in which you live!
Finally, it comes down to pricing. There are four basic categories:
- Luxury living is the most expensive, but the high-performance quality is durable for many seasons. Luxury outdoor furniture comes with many customization options, including fabric patterns, colors, and styles. However, options also come with a higher price tag.
- Mid-point furnishings are a great value. Brands such as Braxton Color and Lexington offer great performance fabrics and durability. There’s still a lot of room for customization, and these pieces come with great warranties. These are still investment pieces, but they are not going to be quite as expensive as Luxury.
- Budget options come as shown — there won’t be many color options or details you can work with, and what you get is what you get. But it’s affordable. These pieces will last for a few seasons if they are taken care of, but the budget choices should never be considered a “forever” kind of product. These may last three to five years, depending on the elements and how well you care for them.
- Finally, we have the Lowes / Big Lots options. These are inexpensive options. They aren’t very durable, and cannot compare to the other options. However, they may be a perfect short-term solution.
When you’re thinking of outdoor furniture, consider your lifestyle. If you spend a lot of time outside, invest accordingly. And if you’re in the market — plan accordingly! Everything is currently sale, but inventory is limited. COVID has created a bit of a shortage because many manufacturers are struggling to get the materials they need to create their products. And if you are looking for new outdoor furnishings for 2021, you’ll want to work with a designer (eh-hem, hopefully, us!) at least eight weeks before you need it.
So to wrap up — some things to consider:
- What style do you like?
- What is your budget?
- How long do you want your furniture to last?
And outdoor living goes beyond the furniture and performance fabrics! You’ll want to consider lighting…. Outdoor rugs…. Durability… Pets and children on the rugs and furniture…. And Warranties.
When you’re ready, we’re eager to assist! Contact us to learn more!